getfit is committed to supporting the privacy of its participants. This Privacy Statement explains how we handle and use the personal information we collect from you.
What personal information we collect
While specific information may vary for particular individuals, we may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal information about you, which we have grouped together as follows:
- Basic user information – name, email address, username, avatar, team name, IP address
- Demographic information – MIT affiliation
- Exercise and getfit data – logged minutes, activity and intensity; personal goals; T-shirt size; posts to the Find a Team/Teammate forum and team wall; events for which you may have registered
- Analytical information
- aggregated, anonymized information related to web visitor activity
- email address related to email marketing
- Survey information – demographic and opinion data
How we collect this personal information about you
- Basic user information – provided by you or your teammates
- Demographic information – provided by you
- Exercise and getfit data – provided by you
- Analytical information – provided via Google Analytics (website) and Campaign Monitor (email newsletters)
- Survey information – provided optionally and anonymously by you
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information for a number of legitimate purposes all in support of the getfit program and Community Wellness at MIT Medical. Specifically, we use your personal information:
- Basic user information
- name – to create an account for you and your team; to display on leaderboards; to announce on the site and in email newsletters if you win a contest; for event registration
- email address – to create an account for you and your team; for intra-team and administration communications; for event registration
- username – to display on the Find a Team/Teammate forum
- avatar – not used
- team name – to create a team; to announce on the site and in email newsletters if you win a contest; to display on leaderboards
- IP address – for debugging purposes
- Demographic information
- MIT affiliation – to use (anonymized) in Community Wellness at MIT Medical reports to improve the getfit program
- Exercise and getfit data
- logged minutes, activity and intensity – to use to calculate standings and contest winners; to use (anonymized) in Community Wellness at MIT Medical reports to improve the getfit program
- personal goals – to measure your progress toward your own defined goals
- T-shirt size – to order a T-shirt for you, if you so chose during registration
- posts to the Find a Team/Teammate forum and team wall – to help users find a team or teammates during registration; for analytic purposes (anonymized)
- events for which you may have registered – to manage attendance for events that require registration
- Analytical information
- aggregated information related to web visitor activity – to analyze anonymized data in MIT Medical reports to improve the getfit program
- aggregated information related to email newsletter - to analyze anonymized data in MIT Medical reports to improve the getfit program
- Survey information (provided optionally and anonymously at the end of the challenge)
- to measure the success of the challenge
- to solicit suggestions for future development
- to provide reports to Community Wellness at MIT Medical to improve the getfit program
If you have concerns about any of these purposes, or how we communicate with you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will always respect a request by you to stop processing your personal information (subject to our legal obligations).
When we share your personal information
To perform the functions listed above, it may be necessary to share your personal information with:
- getfit and Community Wellness at MIT Medical administrators – for development, testing, and de-bugging; for communications with participants; in anonymized reports to improve the getfit program
- getfit developers (Penzias Digital) – for development, testing, and de-bugging
- email newsletter platform (Campaign Monitor) – your email address so we may send you newsletters, which you may opt out of.
getfit will never share your personal information with MIT Medical clinical providers.
How your information is stored and secured
MIT uses risk-assessed administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your personal information. Only authenticated users with specific permissions may access member data. We use firewalls and regular monitoring to evaluate any attempts at accessing the systems without permission.
How long we keep your personal information
The information stored on getfit servers will remain securely in our database indefinitely until you choose to delete or un-register. To do that, please send us an email via the Contact Us page.
Cookies on the getfit site
On the getfit website, cookies are only used for your login session/data. When you visit the site and don’t need to log in again, that’s because of a cookie being stored.
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we will make this clear on the getfit website or by contacting you directly.
This policy was last updated in DECEMBER 2018.